Friday, August 30, 2013

disruption of traffic in Andhra Pradesh- dist Chittoor

Normally, driving down to Bangalore and back is considered a pleasure but not in these days as there is uncertainty of reaching your destination due to anti-Telengana protests in pockets that fall in between the journey!
                                                        
I decided to take the old Madras route from Bangalore to Chennai on the 29th August, 2013.  My mother who is 85 years also travelled with me only on assurances that I will stop the car as and when she wants to ease herself.  I started with my wife on my side and my aged mother at the back of my Toyota Corolla and everything seemed fine as we reached a place called Mulbagul on the border of karnataka with Andhra.  We reached Mulbagul within 50 minutes of our drive and wanted to cross Chittoor Dist in Andhra from where the present Chief Minister of andhra Pradesh, Kiran Kumar Reddy hailed!  we reached Palamner and the trouble started.  soon we found hundreds of trucks parked on the sides and there was no traffic coming from the opposite direction.  I mustered courage to drive right up to the point where protesters were shouting and arguing amongst themselves for nothing, I guess!  I requested the so called self styled chief of the movement to let us go as my aged mother required consideration.  Nothing could squeeze even a bit of their hearts and the mob consisting mostly of young boys and men with sticks in their hands were showing their "mob-might" to people by banging the sticks on the road and sometimes showing signs that they may even hit your car or the glasses.  I reversed my car and reached the Palamner town and asked a police man on duty about an alternate route to Chennai.  The cop said a few rumbling words in Telugu that frightened me a bit and I decided to use my IQ instead.  I cut across a road and aimed at reaching the Hosur highway driving through some eye soothing paddy fields and well maintained villages.  I reached a stretch that would lead me to a dist in Tamilnadu known as Gudiyattham.  Believe me, the car was tested for all its rigidity, endurance and safety as I had to drive through roads that were battered due to rains and had huge craters which made a roller coaster ride!  After a patient one hour drive through the muddy, water soaked slush, sand and craters, I reached Gudiyattham and from where I reached Ranipet and then to Chennai.  I was delayed by nearly 1 1/2 hours.

My personal feeling is that it is time that our country is either given to China or exchange our Government and import General Musharraf to clean up our mess and restore normal functioning of the country.  The boys and young men who were blocking the roads, instead of going to school/college were tail-wagging as a mob and threatening all the road users with sticks and loud exchange of words amongst themselves.  These people must be taken to task and jailed indefinitely for causing nuisance and preventing free movements and affecting fundamentals of Freedom.  The politicians behind the scenes must be arrested for contributing and destruction of peace in the area.

I fail to understand as to how the road blocks can solve a problem that is confronting the state?  One of the youngsters who spoke Tamil told me that the Chief Minister hailed from Chittor dist and the blocks and hurdles were created only on his instructions?  I asked him as to how he will earn his income for the day if he indulges in such unproductive activity?  He replied that each boy/man is given food and drinks besides some money which he did not specify?

I am convinced about the depreciation of Indian Rupee and the poor economic plight of the country given these circumstances!!

1 comment:

  1. I was searching for some information on the present traffic status in andhra as I have to drive to anantapur from chennai. I found yours quite interesting and of course disturbing. I was told by another friend who went to madanapalle from chennai facing the same problem. Travelled through dirt and bumpy roads through villages. Thanks for the write up. I am happy that you reached safely.

    ReplyDelete